Pages

Sunday 14 April 2013

Biba & Beyond


On Friday I had the chance to visit the Biba & Beyond exhibition at Brighton Museum & Art Gallery. Founder of the Biba brand Barbara Hulanicki changed the world of high street shopping in the 60s and 70s and since walking out on the brand after it's corporate takeover she's still as successful. The exhibition is full of the fashion, the lifestyle and the modern-day equivalents of Biba. 

At just £4 entry for the exhibition I was very impressed with the wide range of memorabilia that it showcased, from the clothes itself, original illustrations, make-up and other products, videos and even clothes to try on for yourself! The space itself was very easy to walk around in and to view everything up close unlike many exhibition where you are forced to distance yourself and barely get a real idea of what you're looking at. It all felt very personal with many interviews with Barbara herself scattered around and the fact you could try on a few pieces really helped to interact with it all. There was such a wide range of people visiting the exhibition from women who had worn and shopped at Biba in it's height and to young girls inspired by this style. 

My personal favourite part of the exhibition was by far the illustrations. Having looked at her illustrations before to inspire a photoshoot, it was wonderful to see them up close. I absolutely adore the "dolly" aesthetic of them and they're timeless, they perfectly illustrate the Biba customers such as Twiggy. I also loved the little make-up tutorial video of how to do the "dolly" look - definitely something I will be trying out for myself sometime soon! I also couldn't help but love the platform shoes, I felt that many of the fashion on display could easily be worn today and not look dated.

Below are my pictures from the exhibition of things that caught my eye.

Becky
x






















































No comments:

Post a Comment