Pages

Monday 15 April 2013

Barbara Hulanicki Illustrations

(photos found online)






(own photographs from Biba exhibition)


As I previously mentioned in my review of the Biba exhibition, I have fallen in love with Barbara Hulanicki's illustrations! They are certainly unique and they have the exact stylisation that I am always attracted to - I love the dolly aesthetic with exaggerated eyes and tiny mouths. The lines are very fluid and her illustrations are primarily line drawings with no colour. Her illustrations don't differ too much from my own in the past as I like this approach to drawing however I took it upon myself to recreate them in her style, using different fashion photographs as references, however keeping them quite contemporary as to not completely replicate the 60s-70s look. I did this using black watercolour and a fine brush and occasionally a thicker brush for the heavier lines, trying to keep them as free-flowing as possible and not beginning with any pencil drawings so that they were not too contrived.









No comments:

Post a Comment